More Me


My Orkut Page

Bethanians

Gasper
Geo
Kiron

~Bethanians

Soorya
Aish
Vann G

Popular Labels

movie
treat
trips
festival
wedding
TV

Stump Engine!

Search this blog and affiliated blogs

Monday, October 31, 2005

Threat on Phone !

Friday evenings are always exciting.
Not just for the school going chaps, but even
for us - the office going professionals.
As my bro says "some time to recharge your cells"

Waiting for my company van to come, at the gate.
Rings my mobile. I picked up the phone. And starts
a new chapter.
"What do you want ? What is your intention ? Why do
you send such messages to my girl friend ?"

What is all this ?
And this guy addressed me as 'Babu'.
I told him you are mistaken, you have reached the wrong
person.
But then he got back saying "I call the number from which
I get these messages. How about that?"

Is this a prelude to that robbery incident that had
happened long back ? Another attempt to rob my belongings?
But how , with this drama ?

I hanged up the phone, but the guy called again - same phone
number. I picked up the phone and defended myself in many
different ways.

Yes, I do send messages - plenty of them - to my friends.
but let me tell u something, I send them only to the numbers
that are listed in my phone number. Now tell me which is the
number to which you claim that "I" am sending messages.
He gave me a number (starting 98860 *****),
which I dont hav in my phone book.

Now I got the trick.
This daemon started working in my mind.
This is his plan

1. He claims that I sent his 'girl friend' vulgar messages
2. He will threaten to beat me up / lodge a complain to the police
3. But before that he may offer a compromise
4. He will ask me to come to a place of HIS convenience.
5. And the rest will be history - may even come printed in the
next day's newspaper !

I need to act smart.
Yes, he did say that he is gonna do the point num2
This is what he said, annoyed by my coolness
"You think you are cool, huh? See what I'm gonna do now. I'm gonna
hang up now and call the police"
I said "please go ahead"
He replied "Are u sure about this, Is this a deal?"
I said "what deal ? go ahead and call the police" and hanged up.

By this time, I reached home. Told bro about this story.
Soon, he called again. The same thing
"Will you stop this? Why are you sending her such vulgar messages?"

The mobile was in my hands all this time, and I had made a conscious
effort not to send ANY messages from my phone. And he is still
'getting messages from my number'.

He said "let me put and end to it. let me call the police'
I : Aah.. YOu dint call the police till now? Should I give u the number?
H : Hey, dont act cool ok. I mean business !
I : OH My God.. I'm Scared.. Please help me.... I'm scared to death.
That frustrated him even further.
H : Is this some kinda joke ?
I : Thats what I wanna ask you. I find all this really funny.
H : Laugh now, and face the consequences.
I : Wow ! What a great dialogue. I like it.
H : Dude, I know where you work.
I : Aahaa ?! So where do I work ?
H : You work in Air*** Call centre. I know. And your name is Babu
I : wow! You know quite a lot, about me..
Here is a germ of an idea. Why dont you come to my office.
And catch me by my collar. And give me a slap on my face?
H : (said something which I didnt hear properly)
I : Hey, what was that last statement, can you repeat it ?
H : Golden words are not repeated, okay?
I : Scratch that gold off, and say that again, will you ?
H : (annoyed and irritated) I'm gonna call the police right now.
And its gonna end now. I'll come straight to your home from the police
station and I'm gonna deal with your dad.
I : You have said that 'police' dialogue for more than a few times now.
Now will you please put it to action ? Thank you.
And I slammed the phone down.


Now the hardware engineer in me got up from sleep.
Let me get it out.
Case 1:
I had lost my mobile long back, along with the sim.
Soon after the loss, I had approached my service provider
to get a duplicate sim. They assured, once my duplicate sim
is activated, the other sim is just a piece of silicon. It
would go inactive.
Now, can this be a flaw in technology ? Is the other sim
living in some other handset? But then I did not lose a single
paisa, without my knowledge, I keep track of all the phone calls..
but still, can it so happen ?
If it can happen, then this guy is genuine; rather COULD BE genuine.

Case 2:
The guy is a fraud.
He is trying to fool around.
He will do an emotional black mail and hold a meeting with me for
a compromise. He will grab my belongings and my account card and flee.
The fact that it is end of the month (time for the salary to be
credited to the account) adds to this argument..

Case 3: (just a foolish thought)
I have this offer of 100 sms per day, at a nominal 1 rupee deduction
per day. And I use this number of 100 to full use. that means 3000
sms per month. This will add up to the traffic of my service
provider. And they are trying to stop me.
But is it enough to stop me from smsing ? NO

Case 4:
I have this HTML code with me which I use to send sms
from PC to mobile. And occassionally I send msgs to myself, just
to check the delay, whether it is working fine, etc..
But 99% of the messages are sent to other numbers.
To my cousins and friends.
I suspect the PC-to-mobile smsing is a tweak on a certain
mobile service provider's system. And they wanna stop it.
But they have other decent means to stop it.
And how the hell do they nail down and find MY number ?!

Case 5:
A friend of mine is playing pranks on me.

A possible outcome of case1:
Assuming that this guy has been getting vulgar sms from my number.
He goes to the police. Lodges a complaint.
Police starts enquiry. They check my application form at the
mobile service provider.
The address is outdated. I have shifted home twice..
But that is no deal. They can track the calls from my mobile
and get information about me, from those numbers.
They come searching for me.
I tell them that this is a false acquisition, and they cannot
hold me guilty, without solid evidence. They cannot come to
my house without any evidence, in the first place.
The police gets in touch with the service provider.
Digs out the calls/msg report from the repository.
Finds no message sent to the number that the guy says.
That should be the end of it..


Of all the options, case 2 is the most probable one.
Case 5 also has a decent probability...

I called up Geo to enquire if he or his friends called me a while back.
I explained the whole story to him. He assured me that its not him.
And there are no other probable chaps to play this game...

I went to bed on Friday night, a bit depressed, a bit restless.

Saturday morning.
This matter did not come to my mind at all.
Until the same number flashed on my screen again at around 12 noon.
I switched off my mobile.

Switched on later, in silent mode.
Had a nap in the noon. Got up and found missed calls from 3 different
numbers. One of them was this number. The guy would have tried to
reach me from different numbers.. But his plot is not gonna work !

No calls later in the day.
NO calls on Sunday also.

Will he call again ?
Should I pick up the phone ?
What should be my course of action if he calls ?
I should consider myself smart, not having given ANY info
whatsoever about myself, even after repeated questioning by
this guy (who calls himself, Rajat ; that is a fraud name for
sure). He refused to give any further info about him too...

A possible drama on Monday
The guy manages to get me on the phone again.
He repeats the same old story.
Just to check, I ask him, how can this claim be proved wrong.
He will say, 'come to so-and-so place'. I will show the mobile.
Now that is a smart plot. I should not yield to that.
I would hang up, and call up my service provider telling
them that I'm getting threatening calls from so-and-so
phone number. They will suggest a plan of action.
I can also try digging out the information about
the number myself, from the net, or thru my friends
(who are working in different industries..)

Well, Lets wait and see !
_____________________________________
I plan not to publish the numbers, for the time being...
_____________________________________

Is Bangalore, progressively(?) becoming a nightmarish place to live?
Check the Robbery Attempt which I survived a few months back..

3 Comments:

Blogger Rat said...

@Dipu - illedaa ittilla.. I thot Geo is behind this. Called him up. He was unaware.. BTW, no calls after that :-)

Thu Nov 24, 08:33:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I missed this blog ? But Rat, considering the time, I guess there is one more option i.e Case 6 It's SIM Cloning possible with Airtel and a few prepaid providers afaik.

Thu Oct 19, 09:25:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rat said...

Very much possible.. but considering that there was no contacts, and no 'police visit' to my place.. I guess, this case can be ruled out :)

Thu Oct 19, 10:04:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home